So Now, Where Was I...

Oh yeah.

Thursday October 13, 1977
Psalm 136
Day 2 •

Got up medium. My flow slowed down last night. Dressed after Pops came out of the bathroom. Changed my napkin. Made up the bed. Pops is in a weird mood. Everything is quiet, even the cars. The leaves are turning. The one in the park is going to be yellow. Pops went out. We went shopping. Came back. Started to cook. Pops came back. Put on p.j's, after eating. Watched TV. Went to bed. Thank you, Mr. O.

We ate:
  • Breakfast: 1 vanilla creme chocolate sweet, 1 juju, 1 toffee
  • Dinner: P.butter, johnny cake, lettuce + celery + carrot + cucumber salad, sardine+pbutter+barley+vegetable soup
  • Dessert: apple+pear segments, pnuts
If you're wondering why I had candy for breakfast, it's because I discovered I had a skill for shoplifting. Back then the candy aisle still featured those plexiglass bins that you could scoop out and weigh your own candy, and I'd grab a handful whenever we went to the A&P. It wasn't actually breakfast, but I had to put it in some category.

Friday, October 14, 1977
Psalm 137
Day 3•

Got up medium. Dressed. Watched "Sanford & Son". I still have a flow. It's less than yesterday- so far. Pops went shopping. I read. Pops came back. Mom started to cook. Ate. Watched TV. Aunt Sinah came. T read her "Baby Michael Tree" story. She took Aunt Sinah out! I drew. I fell calm when I draw. Anyhow. Watched "Wonder Woman". Aunt Sinah left. She brought us 2nd hand clothes from Aunt Frances. Went to bed. Thank you Mr. O.

I ate:
  • Breakfast: 1 tsp. pnutbutter, 1 cup honey tea, 1/4 carrot.
  • Dinner - didn't write it.
I happened to watch an episode of "Sanford & Son" the other night with the Sun. It seemed SO dated, but it was funny. It was the one where Sanford realizes he married the girl that broke BB King's heart. And I used to love "Wonder Woman". I still love superheroes. These days, it's Storm. I have a whole collection of Storm figurines.

I remember the Professor's "Baby Michael Tree" story, but I can't remember what it was about, other than it being about a baby tree named Michael. But I do remember it being a good story, and being very proud of her. The professor swears she can't write but she can.

Saturday, October 15
Day 4 •
Psalm 138

Got up medium. No flow last night. Dressed. Pops went shopping. He came back. Had Sabbath School. then had a snack. Watched TV. Ate lunch. Watched. TV. Went for a walk, and went to Washington Square . Came back. Put on pj's. I'm spotting again. Going to eat supper, watch "Bionic Woman" and go to bed. Thank you, Mr. O.

I ate:
  • Breakfast: Triscuits + date-fig preserves
  • Dinner: Beef salami + pink beans + Triscuit crumbs
This new version of "Bionic Woman" wants to grow on me, but it's not really.

Sunday, October 16, 1977
Day 5 •
Psalm 139

Got up medium. Dressed. Cleaned up. Thought we were going to Aunt Frances'. But she wasn't there. So we went to the Rahan's. They're some folk Ma+Pa new in Rome. Their youngest daughter M_, who's 13, rides {horses}. Went shopping. Came back. Ate. Watched TV. Put on pj's. Watched TV. Went to bed. Thank you, Mr. O.

I ate:
  • Breakfast: 3 stix chewing gum, 3 chocolates, marshmallows, 1 toffee
  • Dinner: Beef + pink beans + vegetables soup, matzo, pnutbutter, corn chips
  • Herb tea, honey, almonds
Boy, the candy aisle was getting robbed blind.

The weekly summary said:

This week I got my period, the first month. 2 days before, I felt tired, sleepy, snappy. Then, nothing much on day 1. Days 2+3 a slight cramp. Day 2 I had a low backache, and a cramp. 3 - minor pain. I felt quiet. One day 4 I spotted on and off all day.

I saw the Fat Lady last week. She was saying I needed to update her on '77, and I told her I had kind of annoyed myself reading and seeing how obsessed over my period I was. Who wants to hear about that???? but she said that since she'd gotten hers at a younger age, for her, this first period wasn't as looked forward to as mine was. If you're a dude reading this, I suppose you have similar pivotal life-changing experiences, but for a chick... this is a defining moment in our lives. We all have some feeling about it, one way or the other. I bet that most of us remember how old we were and where we were and how we felt our first period. Even if we don't obsessively write down every detail.

Comments

Popular Posts