Friday, November 18, 1977

Today am 12 years and 9 mths
Psalm 22
Day 38 - 1•

Got up medium. Dressed. Had to sing "Here You Come Again" for our banana. Then left for La Marqueta. Came back. Put all the fruit in the fridge (no electricity, though). I got my period. What a relief. Ate dinner. Washed dishes. This morning, we bought 4 willow-pattern plates. Pops went out. Mom told a story. Put on pj's. Pops came back. Ate supper. Looked out of the window. Going to bag. Thank you, Mr. O.

I ate:
  • Breakfast: 1 banana, 1 pear
  • Lunch: 1 1/2 pears, 1/2 apple, 1/2 tangerine, 1/2 banana
  • Dinner: Beef burgers, boiled breadfruit + green banana+rice+squash (separated into Pon-De-Plate+soup), cucumber+tomato+onion+pbutter dressing, 1 apple, 1/2 pear, 1/2 tangerine
  • Snack: soy nuts, dates, 1/4 pear, 1/3 tangerine, 1 apple
Bwa ha ha. My period coming was relief cuz......????? Hmph. There was this time, see... oh but that's another story.

Anyway.

So we were all figuring out that I could sing. Poppy said he told us "write what you did because then you'll remember how you felt, but if you write what you felt, you won't remember why". Which is true... and which is I remember that the reason I wrote I "had" to sing for my banana was that it felt damn good. I knew I sounded like Dolly Parton. When I sang along with her on the radio, it didn't "twang" the way it does when Big Bear sings anything. The other night, with a bunch of friends on a not-formal-but-fun "double-date", we wandered into a karaoke bar. I'd had two pina coladas and was feeling pretty good, though rum and sweet drinks aren't really my thing. At the bar, I signed up for one song, not sure how I'd do, and downed two Absolut & Tonics, which ARE my thing. Since I wasn't a regular, it took a bit for the karaoke chick to call me up, and by the time she did the place was full. And I sounded damn good, once I got warmed up, if I do say so myself. It was that same feeling... that confidence in knowing there is one thing in this world you do well. Nice to know I still got it...

The Willow-patterned plates were important because they meant something to Poppy; his mother had had a set when he was a little boy. I have a platter now, with that pattern. Just because.

"Pon de plate" was a term we used in Jamaica. It meant that "Food"--green banana, dumpling and dasheen (taro), yam (tubers) and or cassava (also known as yucca) were served on the plate as a starchy side, rather than in a soup. Sometimes, the seasoned water the starches were boiled in were soup, or "tea".

By the way... I'd made a tag to see how many times we ate sardines, but I have to say--so far we haven't eaten them all that much. Funny how the memory works--sis and I still swear we ate them 365 days a year...

Comments

Popular Posts