Friday, August 19, 1977

Back to the Story...
Thirty years ago we left Jamaica to come back to the U.S. I had written in my journal practically every day except for this week.

Psalm 82

Got up medium. Dressed. Cleaned up. T+ Pop went to town. Mom and I cleaned up. Before T+Pop went to town, I worked with Greta and we saw Speedy. I finished my "puppy" pillow, which I call Guerly. Mom sewed up my "rattie." I call it "Country Mouse".* It rained. Cooked with Mom. Ate. Where are Pop & T? Pop and T. came home. They ate. Me and Pop caught the p.nut man. Saw Speedy. Pjs and bed.
*While hearing "Strange Homecoming."
Thank You, Mr. O.

We ate:
  • Breakfast: 1/2 grapefruit, 1 mango 1 banana
  • Snack: Sweet pepper, red herring
  • Dinner: Scrambled eggs, sardine+baked beans+sweet pepper + tomato, rice
  • Supper: banana+ortanique juice+mango salad, roasted peanuts.
We sewed a lot. A. from across the street had given me a horse sewed in some of vinyl. I'd named her Dixieland (I still have her). But I was intrigued by the pattern, and by the fact that she stood up. I figured out how to make the pattern, and would make other stuffed horses, mostly by hand.
****************************************
Interesting to look back and imagine life without telephones. Pop and T couldn't call to say they were on their way home, that they'd been delayed, etc. So you just had to pray and hope that everything was OK.
*******************************************
And finally, the peanut man. No vendors came down our way all that often, so it was a big deal when they did. The peanut man would also be on a bike or motorbike, and instead of an ice box lashed to his mode of transportation, he'd have some sort of hot box. The peanuts were salted, usually, wrapped in little brown paper parcels.

Comments

Popular Posts